Post-tensioned/ Prestressed Concrete Special Inspection
This course is designed for working special inspectors with a sound, general knowledge of concrete construction who wish to gain knowledge of prestressed concrete construction.
The goals of this course are:
- To assist inspectors in preparing for and passing the ICC Prestressed Concrete Special Inspector exam
- To provide practical knowledge in inspection of unbonded monostrand post-tensioned decks and other types of prestressed concrete.
Topics will include:
- Overview of and principles behind prestressed concrete
- Understanding design and shop drawings
- Pre-construction considerations and meeting
- The inspection process
- Inspection and testing during concrete placement
- The tensioning operation
- The literature, specifications, and passing the test
The following are approved references for the test, all student should have access to these materials. Specific materials needed for class will be covered at the first class meeting.
- 2006 International Building Code
- ACI 318-5 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary (2002 edition is optional)
- Manual for Quality Control for Plants and Production of Structural Precast Concrete Products – MNL 116-99, 4th edition
- ASTM Standard A416-04a
- ASTM Standard A421-02
- Please note: ASTM Standards are referenced in the 2006 International Building Code: ASTM REFERENCE STANDARDS. ASTM Standards are als in ACI Publication SP-71/
- Field Procedures Manual for Single Strand Tendons, 3rd edition, 2000 (part of a 3 piece set)
- Specification for Unbonded Single Strand Tendons, 2nd Edition, 2000 (part of a 3 piece set)
- Recommendations for Prestressed Rock and Soil Anchors, 4th Edition (part of a 3 piece set)
- ICC Model Program for Special Inspection for 2006 IBC
Send email to Sharon@NWCEL.org with student name and company.